Friday, November 9, 2018

Friday Reads (or listens): Blue Lily, Lily Blue

We made it to Friday! Today, Public Services Librarian Kelly Clever tells us about the book she's currently listening to. Yes, audiobooks "count"-- librarians and cognitive scientists say so! Here's a bit about Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater:

Kelly Clever is listening to Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

I'm finally getting around to listening to the third book in The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. It was published four years ago, but the audio version wasn't released right away, and then I got sidetracked. I'm so in love with Will Patton's narration that I couldn't bring myself to read it in print. It's been worth the wait.

The Raven Cycle books follow Blue, a psychic's teenage daughter, as she becomes reluctant friends with four boys who are attending the local elite prep school. She is drawn into their quest to find a mystical king they believe to be in an enchanted sleep somewhere beneath the nearby Blue Ridge mountains. In Blue Lily, Lily Blue, Blue is becoming increasingly stressed as a new school year starts; her mother has vanished and Gansey (unbeknownst to him) is fated to die before the end of the coming April.

As I said, Will Patton does an amazing job with the narration of these stories. His husky voice is perfectly suited to the creepier passages, and he does a hilarious job with characters' voices in the lighter moments. I'm also a huge fan of his performance of Jack Kerouac's On the Road; give that one a listen if you get the chance. I'll probably seek out more of his work in the future just because I enjoy listening to it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment