The 400s are for Language.
|Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal about the Mind|
by George Lakoff
- 400: "Class here interdisciplinary works on language and literature." (I love librarian instruction manuals and guidelines; so reminiscent of "here there be dragons.")
- 401: Philosophy and theory
- 402: Miscellany (I also love that we have these metaphorical "junk drawers" in our Dewey classes... though 402.85 is called out specifically for computer applications)
- 403: Dictionaries, encyclopedias, and concordances
- 404: ...Nothing to see here! It's "Unassigned." Move along, move along!
- 405: Serial publications
- 406: Organizations and management
- 407: Education, research, and related topics in linguistics
- 408: Groups of people (408.9 is "treatment of language with respect to ethnic and national groups")
- 409: Geographic treatment and biography