Friday, February 23, 2018

Friday Reads: Phasma

It's Friday! Public Services Librarian Kelly Clever is listening to the audiobook of Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson and narrated by January LaVoy. Her thoughts:

Kelly Clever is listening to Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson

"Even though I consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan, I never read any of the books until relatively recently. My knowledge of the old EU (Expanded Universe for you muggles) came exclusively from spending way too much time on FanFiction.net back in high school. With the reboot of the canon, however, I feel like I have a chance to get in on the ground floor… not that I’ll be able to keep up.

Phasma had only brief appearances in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, but like Boba Fett before her, she managed to capture popular imagination with her cool armor. Phasma gives us her back story, told in a frame-narrative format. I wasn’t sure that I’d really want to listen to a long (over 12 hours!) character exploration of one of the baddies, but the frame story involves a Resistance spy and a First Order officer who has some redeeming qualities. I’m enjoying their interaction and I want to know how Phasma’s past is going to impact their choices.


Like all of the Star Wars titles I’ve listened to as audiobooks, this one is 'enhanced' with sound effects and music from the films. I’d been skeptical about that concept, but they are well-done and, for me, the extras really do add to the experience."

1 comment: