Friday, September 18, 2020

Friday Reads: The Divine Milieu

Today's Friday Reads feature may interest those who enjoy pondering the big questions of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Dr. Stanley tells us about The Divine Milieu by Teilhard de Chardin. 

Dr. Stanley in a mask holding The Divine Milieu

David Stanley with The Divine Milieu by Teilhard de Chardin

I had a brief idea of what this book would be about because it was recommended to me by a friend who held the author in high esteem. I wish I would have begun reading it sooner because my friend died before we could discuss it. This makes the work more interesting to me because the copy he gave me is full of his notes and I am left to wonder what they meant to him. The Divine Milieu gives us a different lens through which to understand not only Christianity but also Catholicism. If we are to accept de Chardin’s views of the world, humanity, spirituality, and God there is an intertwining of all of them. Basically, all of creation and all that we do here is part of a trial. What we accomplish in the end does not matter, what does matter is why we do what we do. We are here to prove to God our worthiness, not what we can accomplish. It’s not a quick read but it does give you much to ponder in those late nights when you can’t fall asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment