Friday, February 22, 2019

Friday Reads: Stiff

Dr. Stanley has another eclectic pick for us this week-- Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. (Side note: it's never boring having David for a boss!)

David Stanley is reading Stiff by Mary Roach

I enjoy all genres of books. I like humor. I like fiction. I like non-fiction. I like the macabre. I like science. This books, believe it or not, contains bits of all of the above. This book was recommended to me by someone who for one reason or another thought it was a topic I would enjoy—he was right.

When most people think about death they never really consider much other than burial, cremation, donation, or other generalities. What this book does is explore the various specific paths that a person’s remains can take from the moment of death until final disposal. Although at times the narrative can be a bit “descriptive” it is eye opening as to the many ways that people can continue to assist mankind after they shuffle off this mortal coil.

I’ve been aware of how cadavers are used in medicine but it was interesting to learn of some of the specifics of how they help to hone the skills of physicians and other professionals. These bodies also assist in ways that surprised me: think crash dummies, and in ways that I had read about in the past: think methods of decomposition.

All in all it’s nice to see that these people were/are altruistic at a time when many have been laid to rest. It makes me appreciate what they continue to do and the respect that they are still accorded for their final sacrifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment