Friday, January 28, 2022

Friday Reads: Cottage at the Beach

Though the January residency for the Writing Popular Fiction program has ended, we still have books by program faculty and alumni on display in the Reading Room downstairs. Kelly is currently reading a novel that isn't featured in that collection, but which was written by one of our SHU faculty. Read on for more about Cottage at the Beach by Lee McClain...

Kelly holding an ereader displaying Cottage at the Beach

Between the January weather and the surge in Covid cases, I've been needing a pick-me-up. I love Dr. McClain's romances because they're hopeful without being sickly-sweet; she manages to strike that delicate balance between wholesome and a little bit of spice. 

Cottage on the Beach is the first book in The Off Season series, but it's the second one I've read; I started with #3, Christmas on the Coast. I guess I'll have to read the middle installment next (Reunion at the Shore)! The good thing about reading genre romance novels is that you're pretty much guaranteed a happily-ever-after ending, so already knowing the outcome for this couple doesn't spoil the journey.

This book has everything I needed: a cop who looks like Chris Hemsworth, a crazy dog, a bookstore, a matchmaking sister, a courageous teen, and hints of spring. It's like a cup of a tea and a cozy blanket -- with which, by the way, it pairs perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment