Friday, August 3, 2018

Friday Reads: The Republic of Pirates

Arrrr! Public Services Librarian Kelly Clever has been spending the summer (mentally) in the Caribbean with Blackbeard & Co.
Kelly Clever with The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard

"The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates the Man Who Brought Them Down by Colin Woodard book popped up on an Audible sale list. While I didn't want to use one of my audiobook credits on it, I was interested enough to get a print copy from the public library. My family often vacations on the Outer Banks, where the legacy of Edward Thatch (Blackbeard) and other pirates is still remembered.

"I enjoy history, so I'm enjoying the book, but it's not exactly a page-turner. There's a lot of detail, and while sometimes that's delightful, it can also bog things down. There are also a lot of details that I didn't really want to know; the 1700s were a cruel time, and it's been hard to read about a lot of the suffering endured by everyone but particularly by slaves and children.

"Still, I'm glad that I picked up this book. My favorite story so far has been about the eight pirates who captured a wine merchant ship and decided that it was REALLY important that they all get hammered drunk in the middle of a horrific storm, leaving the operation of the ship to their captives. I think I would have conducted my own risk/benefit analysis somewhat differently in those circumstances."

No comments:

Post a Comment