Thursday, September 5, 2013

Our Chat Reference Service is Out of This World!

Considering our recent post about the Buzz Lightyear that was left in the library (we're happy to report he has been reunited with his playmate), it's not surprising that someone signed into Reeves Library's online chat reference service this afternoon as Emperor Zurg.  For those of you unfamiliar with the film Toy Story, Zurg is the sworn enemy of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and Buzz believes he is poised at the edge of the galaxy with a weapon that can destroy an entire planet.

Here are a few choice excerpts from the beginning and end of today's reference transaction:

Emperor Zurg: "Hello."

Me: "Hello, Emperor Zurg. This is Adam Pellman of Star Command. How can I help you?

Zurg: "I greatly acquire assistance from your establishment of literary content. Where would you happen to find books on [confidential topic, although you can rest assured that it had nothing to do with space warfare] ...  My... er... cousin the Dark Lord of All requires such reading materials."

...

Zurg:"Emperor Zurg, sworn enemy of the Galactic Alliance, greatly appreciates the assistance of human Adam Pellman of Star Command. I can now finish my homework! I will consider saving you as I take over the world."

Me: "Glad to help, and thanks for sparing me. Good luck with your ploy for galactic domination. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Zurg: "That is all for today. Thank you!"

 This exchange was really fun for me, so I'd like to thank Zurg (whoever you are) for brightening my day.  It also shows that even galactic villains can benefit from a college education, and I applaud the emperor for his commitment to lifelong learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment