Friday, March 1, 2019

Friday Reads: West Newton

Today Judith Koveleskie shares a book about her hometown-- West Newton: Memories of an Old Town by Florilla W. Albig
Judith Koveleskie with West Newton: Memories of an Old Town



This limited edition book about my hometown was published for the Bicentennial Year. Mrs. Albig was the editor of the local paper and this book captures the town at that moment in time. Although most of the businesses and some of the structures are no longer there, the spirit of the town remains strong. Although I have not lived there for over 50 years, it is still home to me and I return as often as I can.

The book was a gift to Reeves Library from George R. Sweeney who was prominent in Westmoreland County and served as head of the Municipal Authority for nearly 35 years. News clippings about him are inserted in the back of the book.

Although I enjoyed reading this book again, I realize that it conforms to the WASP mindset that was prevalent at the time. We did have Catholics and African Americans who made contributions to the the town, but except for pictures of their churches, they are not mentioned. Perhaps in the future, someone else can write a book that is more inclusive. One of our most gifted residents was a young man in my high school class who achieved much in the world of art https://gregthompsonfineart.com/project/tarrence-corbin/

No comments:

Post a Comment